Tour of Flanders 2017 (Sportive & Pro race watch)
30th / 31st March to 3rd April 2017
The 101st edition of the Tour of Flanders takes place on Sunday, April 2nd. This classic cycling race is famous for featuring short, sharp climbs. New for 2017 is that the race starts from Antwerp and the famous Muur van Geraardsbergen will feature yet again. The final section of the race follows the usual finishing circuit with the Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg.
Sports Tours International offers transport and accommodation for the 2017 Tour of Flanders as well as guaranteed entry and support for the Tour of Flanders Cyclosportive. We support all 4 distance options including the opportunity to cycle the full 230 km from Antwerp.
The 2017 Tour of Flanders weekend will yet again offer you the opportunity to ride in the Flanders Cyclo amateur event on Saturday before watching the Pros on the Sunday. We accommodate you taking part in all Cyclo-Sportive distances including the new 180km and the full distance event which will both start in Antwerp.
- Weekend coach trip from the UK with Thursday arrival – Fully booked
- Weekend coach trip from the UK with Friday arrival
- Weekend trip with airport transfers from Brussels airport – Thursday or Friday arrival
- Ghent city centre hotel only with VIP hospitality tickets and transport
Tour of Flanders VIP access and hospitality:
The Muur van Geraardsbergen makes its return and the start of the 2017 Ronde van Vlaanderen is in Antwerp rather than Brugge. Also new for 2017 is a fantastic range of VIP and hospitality options, available through Sports Tours International as a stand alone option or if you book one of our weekend tours. If you are not on one of tours and you would like to book hospitality and a hotel stay then we also offer a hotel in Ghent city centre and transport from Ghent to and from the hospitality areas – More information here.
Following feedback from our customers in 2016, we will now offer the option to arrive on the Thursday which allows you to have an extra day in Ghent to take your time to get ready for the Sportive on the Saturday. Airport transfers from Brussels airport are available.
UK coach options and airport transfers from Brussels are also available on Friday. As those arriving on the coaches from the UK will arrive in the evening and bikes have to be prepared so they are ready for the Sportive on Saturday, we offer a buffet at the Hotel Ibis Opera on arrival to save time.
Tour of Flanders Cyclo Sportive (Final entries are now available):
Sports Tours International offers you the opportunity to ride the Tour of Flanders route in the Cyclo-Sportive the day before the pros tackle it. There are several different courses that can be attempted. Please note that for the Flanders Cyclo-Sportive the number of participants was recently reduced by 5000, the sportive is usually over subscribed and that entries were not available on the day of the event in 2016. There are four choices of event to enter: 75km and 130km sportives, both from Oudenaarde, and 180km and the full 230km distance from Antwerp. Sports tours international will transport you from Ghent to the start of your chosen event and meet you at the finish. All the events end in Oudenaarde. All of the distances include the most notable climbs of the pro race.
Your Flanders Sportive Entry:
If you have ordered your Flanders entry through us, we will register on your behalf and your number will be available for you on arrival in Ghent on Friday at no extra charge. If you get your own entry, you will have to join the queue with many others to collect your race number.
Planned itinerary for the 2017 event:
Summary of the weekend:
- Airport transfers from Brussels airport – if you chose this option
- Welcome in Ghent, bike building
- Coach collections in the UK from various collection points
- Airport transfers from Brussels airport – if you chose this option
- Arrival in Ghent in the evening at about 20.00 or earlier if you are flying into Brussels
- Welcome in Ghent, bike building
- Entries available on arrival at the hotel so no need to go and register in Oudenaarde
- Early 1 hr transfer to Antwerp for long distance – Start is between 07.00 and 08.00am
- Early transfer to Oudenaarde for the shorter distances – Start from 07.00 – 09.00 for mid distance and 07.00 – 10.00 for short distance. All events finish in Oudenaarde
- Private assistance point en route
- Drink and sandwich at the finish before going back to Ghent
- Transfers back from Oudenaarde to Ghent in order of finishing time
- Transfer to Antwerp for those who want to see the start
- Transfer to Oudenaarde
- Option to take free shuttle to Oude Kwaremont from Oudenaarde before 12.30
- Transfers back to Ghent after finish
- Return transfers to the UK and to Brussels airport
Thursday 30th of March:
Following our client’s feedback we offer the option to arrive today.
Fly into Brussels International Airport where we can come and collect you at 11.00 or 16.00.
Friday 31st of March:
Today is about getting you to Ghent via your preferred method, You can make your own way by car or air or you can travel with us on one of three coaches we will be running.
Coach collection points:
Our coach will be equipped with a bike trailer for the safe storage of bikes in bike boxes or bags. We have selected our collection points based on ease of accessibility, parking facilities and location. Please click on the link to see what services are available at or near the various pick up points.
We will sail from Dover to Calais and arrive in Ghent at approximately 20.00 to spend 3 nights on bed and breakfast at the Ibis Centrum Opera in Ghent.
Flying in to Brussels?
If you want to come and join us in Belgium without taking one of the coaches from the UK, we will also be running a transfer from the airport to our hotel in Ghent. Tell us of your flight details at the time of booking and we will collect you from Brussels airport at either 11.00 or at 16.00. Airport transfers for flights after 16:00 cannot be accommodated. On departure we provide one single transfer back to Brussels airport straight after breakfast for flights after 12:00.
If you choose this option then you will be staying at the Hotel Ibis Opera in the city centre of Ghent on a bed and breakfast basis.
Driving yourself to Ghent?
If you make your own way to Ghent and come and meet us at the hotel, then please let us know in advance. We will still provide your entry on arrival and we will still be able to provide transfers on Sportive day and Pro race day. We advise you to arrange your parking in advance.
Saturday the 1st of April:
In the morning after an early breakfast we will make our way to Oudenaarde for the start of the Tour of Flanders sportive. Those who take part in the 227km one will be taken to the start of the race which is expected to be in Antwerp, approximately 55km away from Ghent. The other 2 distances will start from Oudenaarde. All distances finish in Oudenaarde. At the finish we will be waiting for you with a well-deserved complimentary drink and sandwich.
Sunday 2nd of April:
The 100th Tour of Flanders was won in spectacular fashion by reigning world champion Peter Sagan, leaving Fabian Cancellara and Sep Vanmarcke in his dust as he solo’ed to the win. The women’s race was won by world champion Lizzie Armistead. Today is the day of the 101st Tour of Flanders Professional race. You can spectate at the start in Antwerp before coming to Oudenaarde with us or go straight to Oudenaarde.
Option 1 – Antwerp and Oudenaarde:
For those who wish to see the start, we will set off very early to get to Antwerp. After watching the start we will move to Oudenaarde where you can stay, or take the free shuttle over to ‘de Oude Kwaremont’ – the last shuttle bus will leave from Oudenaarde at 12.30 (please note that we may not get back in time to catch the 12.30 cut off in which case you need to stay in Oudenaarde).
- Ghent to Antwerp – Collection at 06.00 from Ghent
- Antwerp to Oudenaarde – Collection from Antwerp at 11.00 to go to Oudenaarde
- Oudenaarde to Ghent at the end of the day – Collection at 18.30 from Oudenaarde
Option 2 – Ghent to Oudenaarde:
- Ghent to Oudenaarde – Collection from Ghent at 08.00
- Oudenaarde to Ghent at the end of the day – Collection at 18.30
For those not going to the start, we will take you to Oudenaarde. There will be large TV screens, plentiful food, a bar, everything you need for a day at the bike races. There will also be a free shuttle to the Oude Kwaremont which runs until 12.30 where you will be able to see the riders of the men’s race come past 3 times. You will also get the chance to see the women’s 2017 Tour of Flanders, so impressively won by world champion Lizzie Armistead last year.
- 11.00: start of Tour of Flanders for women in the Oudenaarde marketplace
- 12.25: Passage women on the Wolvenberg
- 12.30: Passage Tour of Flanders men at the market in Oudenaarde
- 13.10: Passage Eikenberg and Wolvenberg
- 13.15: Passage cobblestone zone Ruiterstraat/Kerkgate
- 14.45: Finish women at Minderbroedersstraat in Oudenaarde
- 15.10: Passage men Koppenberg
- 16.10: Finish men at Minderbroedersstraat in Oudenaarde
Monday 3rd of April:
Today we will be returning home, taking an afternoon ferry to Dover, with approximate arrival times:
- London 16.00hrs,
- Birmingham 19.00hrs,
- Manchester 21.00hrs,
Please note that these times are approximate and subject to change so please bear this in mind for your onward travel arrangements.
*** Ibis Ghent Centrum Opera
The ibis hotel Gent Centrum Opera is located in the heart of Ghent’s historical centre, with the St Bavo Cathedral and St James’ Church just steps away.
Equipped with the new Sweet Bed by Ibis bedding, the practical and inviting Ibis room boasts all the features you want most: large double bed (2 twin beds), desk, internet, TV with all the best channels and a bathroom with shower or bathtub.
Ghent offers many cultural pleasures, including the Huis van Alijn, the Arnold Vander Haeghen Museum and St Peter’s Abbey. Take advantage of the 24-hour bar, free WI-FI access or paying HSIA internet access.
You will stay here on bed and breakfast basis.
*** Hotel Ibis Kathedraal:
Hotel ibis Gent Centrum Cathedral is located in the heart of the city center, opposite the St. Bavo’s cathedral with the famous Van Eyck brother’s adoration of the lamb. Close to Belfry, city hall and castle of the counts. All rooms are equipped with the new comfortable ibis-beds and free WiFi. Recently renovated bar, lobby and reception.
Equipped with the new Sweet Bed by ibis bedding, the practical and inviting ibis room boasts all the features you want most: large double bed 2 twin beds), desk, internet, TV with all the best channels and a bathroom with shower or bathtub.
The authentic city of Gent offers art and culture, cosiness and lots of shopping possibilities. Restaurants in front of the hotel on the St. Bavo’s square and along the different canals
You will stay here on bed and breakfast basis
**** Hotel NH Ghent:
The NH Gent Belfort hotel puts leisure travellers right in the heart of the city. A 5-minute walk takes you to sights like the cathedral, castle and belfry, plus you’ve got all the bars and restaurants you need just outside the door.
Rooms vary in style – some have a classic look with soft carpets, while others have teamed a hardwood floor with contemporary colours.
Breakfast is served in the breakfast room, where waffles and pancakes feature among a long line-up of dishes.
You will stay here on bed and breakfast basis
UK Coach on Thursday – staying at Hotel Ibis Ghent Centrum Opera:
£519 per person based on sharing a twin room on a bed and breakfast basis
£199 supplement per person for the sole occupancy of a room
UK Coach on Friday – staying at Hotel Ibis Ghent Centrum Opera:
£419 per person based on sharing a twin room on a bed and breakfast basis
£149 supplement per person for the sole occupancy of a room
Fly in and out of Brussels International Airport (not Charleroi/ Brussels South) or arriving by car – Staying at Hotel NH Ghent Belfort:
Thursday March 30th:
£549 per person based on sharing a twin room on a bed and breakfast basis
£289 supplement per person for the sole occupancy of a room
Friday March 31st:
£469 per person based on sharing a twin room on a bed and breakfast basis
£229 supplement per person for the sole occupancy of a room
- A Sports Tours International cycling jersey made by Santini – More info here
- A selection of collection points throughout the UK (UK coaches) on Thursday and Friday
- Coach transport for you and your bike and ferry crossings (UK coaches)
- Airport transfers at 11.00 and 16.00 on Thursday and Friday from BRU airport and to connect with flights after 12.00 on Monday (BRU arrivals)
- A welcome buffet at the Ibis Opera on Friday night on arrival for those arriving in the evening by coach
- The services of our experienced coach driver, guide and the team in Ghent
- Entry pack available on Friday night so waiting for you on arrival in Ghent if you arrive that day (only if purchased through us)
- 3 or 4 nights on bed and breakfast basis in your chosen hotel in Ghent
- Transport for you and your bike to and from the Sportive start and finish
- An additional assistance point en-route for the long distance riders plus a drink and sandwich at the finish in Oudenaarde after the Sportive for all riders
- Return transport to watch the Tour of Flanders pro race on Sunday in Oudenaarde
Available at additional cost:
- Tour of Flanders Cyclo-Sportive entry, all distances accommodated
- Travel insurance – please visit our insurance page
- Bike rental – £129 (Trek Carbon 105), £189 (Trek Carbon Ultegra) – More information
- Tour of Flanders VIP and hospitality experiences
- 227km – Starts from Antwerp – 1hr transfer from Ghent on Saturday morning – £60 (€10 will be returned to you in cash at the finish)
- 180km – Sorry, this option is sold out
- 129km – Starts from Oudenaarde – 45min from Ghent on Saturday morning – £55 (€10 will be returned to you in cash at the finish)
- 71km – Sorry, this option is sold out
- €10 refundable deposit returned to you when you finish
- Timing chip
- Tour of Flanders T Shirt
- Frame plate
- A video chip that gives you the opportunity to look up your own video. Registration by 21 cameras at 7 key locations on the course
- Track trace function so that the people at home do not miss your performance
- An exclusive certificate
- Plenty of provisions at every checkpoint, including Aptonia, water, bananas, waffles,…
- Technical service (Shimano)
- An itinerary
- A free coffee offered by Pelican Rouge before the start
- Medical service, at every checkpoint and at the finish
HOW TO BOOK:
Click on the green button below.
At time of booking we require a non-refundable deposit per person, plus the full race entry fee, which is non-returnable once booked. The balance of your travel package must be paid, at the latest, 12 weeks before departure to avoid the cancellation of your trip.
Please look here for our full booking conditions.
Single travellers and twin to share:
We welcome single travellers on our tours and holidays as it is a great way to join a like-minded group of people and you will make lots of new friends. If you would like to join our group as a single traveller we can offer you two options.
A single room or if you want to avoid the single supplement then you can make use of our ‘twin to share’ option. We will pair you up with another traveller (of the same sex) and you can enjoy the event without having to pay extra.
General, visa, passport and health information:
For passport and visa information, please check the relevant section on this page.General Travel and health Information for your destination is available on the FCO website. Please note that this information relates to UK passport holders only and that other nationalities should refer to their own authorities for this information.
For details of specialist sports travel insurance for our travel packages, please visit our insurance page. You must ensure that your travel insurance policy covers you to participate in cycling events if you will be doing so. There is additional information about our other Concierge Services on our special web page.