Marmotte Gran Fondo Alps 2017
Travel and Race Services
Sunday 2nd July 2017
We offer a selection of travel and race services for the 2017 Marmotte Gran Fondo which takes place on Sunday July 2 in Alpe d’Huez. These services are available without the need to purchase a travel package with us. These services include: airport transfers from Geneva or Lyon airport, overland bike transport from the UK, bike rental, specialist sports travel insurance and an online medical certification service.
2017 Marmotte Gran Fondo travel and race services:
We have been working on the Marmotte as official UK tour operator for a lot of years. We provide excellent travel packages with staff support so you can focus on the riding.
Now also available: Door to Door Overland Bike Transport from the UK at £150 per bike if booked as part of our travel packages. (Otherwise £175).
2017 Marmotte Gran Fondo weekend:
Thursday June 29 – Optional early arrival day
Friday June 30 – Grimpee de L’Alpe Alpe d’Huez time trial and main arrival day
Saturday July 1 – Registration day, event expo, Sports Tours International race briefing
Sunday July 2 – Marmotte day
Monday July 3 – Departure day
Why stay in Alpe d’Huez?
One of the things to decide on is whether you choose to stay in Alpe d’Huez or in the valley for your Marmotte weekend. We have chosen to stay in Alpe d’Huez for the following reasons:
- Alpe d’Huez is the venue of the event expo and registration
- After you finish the Marmotte, you only have to go a short distance back to your hotel
- It tends to be a lot cooler at altitude than in the valley which will enhance your sleep quality
- Spending a couple of days in Alpe d’Huez will help you to acclimatise to the altitude
- The atmosphere before and after the event is great in Alpe d’Huez
We have 2 star, 3 star and 4 star hotel options and hotel stays are available for 3 or 4 nights on the advertised board basis.
Included with your Marmotte itinerary:
- 3 or 4 nights at your chosen hotel in Alpe d’Huez
- 3 or 4 breakfasts
- 3 or 4 evening meals (if you book a hotel which includes this)
- Bike storage at your chosen hotel
- All hotel taxes
- A Sports Tours International cycling jersey made by Santini – More information
- A safe pair of hands – More information
- Our staff service. Please see details below
Our staff service on the Marmotte includes:
- A Marmotte race briefing at the Palais des Sports
- Mechanical support from our professional mechanics
- Daily hotel visits from our team of bike guides
- 2 additional feed stations on the Galibier and on the Alpe d’Huez bends
- A day bag service on Marmotte day with bag available at our food stop on the Galibier
- We will collect your clothing from you after you descend to the start in Bourg d’Oisans on race day and deliver it back to the hotel for you
- Airport meet and greet and return airport transfers – if you book this service
- Overland bike transport service from the UK at £150 per bike if booked as part of a travel package (Otherwise £175) – More information here
- Return airport transfers from Geneva or Lyon airport for you, your luggage and bike at set times at just £99 return if booked with our travel package – More information below.
- Guaranteed La Marmotte Entry. Available as an extra at £120 (includes €10 chip deposit which will be refunded to you in cash after the Marmotte)
- La Grimpee Alpe d’Huez time trial. Available as an extra at £15 (use same chip as Marmotte) – this now takes place on Friday before rather than the usual Sunday after the Marmotte
- Bike rental options – £129 for a Trek Carbon bike with Shimano 105 and £199 for Shimano Ultegra – More information here
- Travel Insurance – do not travel without insurance and don’t forget to insure your bike. Please visit our insurance page
- Online medical certification service – More information here
Please book these in advance based on your flight arrival time. You will book a specific transfer so we can’t guarantee that there is space on another transfer if you decide to change last minute although we will do all we can to accommodate any changes.
Thursday June 29th – Optional early arrival day:
Friday June 30th – Arrival day:
We will offer transfers leaving Geneva airport at 14.00 and 19.00 and Lyon airport at 11.30 and 18.00.
We will welcome you at Geneva and Lyon airport and our transfer vehicle will transport you and your bike to Alpe d’Huez leaving Geneva airport at 12.00, 14.00 and 19.00 and Lyon airport at 11.00 and 14.00. If you take the late 19.00 transfer from Geneva and you are staying at a hotel with evening meals included then a cold buffet will be waiting for you on arrival. For those who are not staying at a hotel with evening meals included, we will propose a simple meal on arrival which can be paid for locally.
Monday July 3rd – Departure day:
Departing Alpe d’Huez at 07.00 for flights from 12.00 and at 10.00 for flights from 15.00.
N.B. Please note that if you have booked a place on the early transfer and then miss it, we cannot guarantee that there is space on the 10:00 transfer for you and your bike.
Departure transfers to Lyon airport are available on Monday at 05:30 for flights after 10.00 and 11:30 for flights after 16.00.
N.B. Please note that if you miss the 05:30 transfer, we cannot guarantee that there is space on the 11:30 transfer for you and your bike.
It is possible to use this entry for the Marmotte only if you don’t want to do the other events of the Trophee d’Oisans. Available at £160 if booked with our travel package or at £170 without travel package for entry into the Trophee d’Oisans which includes 4 events; the Vaujany, the Prix des Rousses, the Marmotte plus the Grimpee de L’Alpe. Have a look at our Trophee d’Oisans cycling week here.
Booking one of our travel packages with hotel, staff support and guaranteed entry is a cost effective way to take part in the 2017 Marmotte Gran Fondo. If you have already sorted your own hotel and you only want certain elements of our package then we also offer Marmotte travel and race services that can be purchased as stand alone items without a travel package:
Now taking place on a Sunday rather than the traditional Saturday, the Marmotte Gran Fondo is one of the toughest one day cyclo-sportives that you can do. There is 170km with 5000 metres of ascent to be conquered. Climbs scaled are: Col du Glandon (1924m), Col du Telegraphe (1570m), Col du Galibier (2645m), Col du Lautaret (2058m) and Alpe d’Huez (1880m).
For a review of the 2016 event, have a look at Jim’s blog here.
Just like the Etape du Tour, there are rolling road closures, feed stops etc, before finishing in Alpe d’Huez. You will get your own personal time for the event, together with a classification. This is what people riding the Marmotte strive for – will you get a gold, silver or bronze? Our hotels are well situated in Alpe d’Huez, so you wont have too far to go afterwards from the finish. Upon return to your hotel, you can choose to do what you wish, so either relax or celebrate!
The route is very challenging as you expect from the Marmotte with 170km distance and 5000m of climbing. There’s a great article worth reading about the Marmotte on the Road Cycling UK website about the Top 10 tips for La Marmotte.
Please see below for the schedule:
- Start in Bourg d’Oisans (719m)
- Col du Glandon (1924m)
- Col du Telegraphe (1570m)
- Col du Galibier (2645m)
- Col du Lautaret (2058m)
- Alpe d’Huez (1880m)
In 2015 due to the closure of the Tunnel du Chambon in between the foot of the Col du Lautaret and the start of the ascent to Alpe d’Huez in Bourg d’Oisans, the route of the 2015 Marmotte was changed to miss the Galibier and Lautaret. In 2016 we were back on the ‘classic’ course.
See above for the price of each service.
HOW TO BOOK:
Click on the green button below.
At time of booking we require a non-refundable deposit per person plus any applicable entry fee. The balance of your travel package must be paid, at the latest, 12 weeks before departure to avoid the cancellation of your trip.
Please look here for our full booking conditions
To take part in the 2017 Marmotte you have to get a medical certificate signed by your doctor within the last year from the event date. For an example copy of the kind of form have a look here, Medical certificate example cycling. Alternatively our partners offer online medical certification.
Single travellers and twin to share:
We welcome single travellers on our tours and holidays as it is a great way to join a like-minded group of people and you will make lots of new friends. If you would like to join our group as a single traveller we can offer you two options. A single room or if you want to avoid the single supplement then you can make use of our ‘twin to share’ option. We will pair you up with another rider (of the same sex) and you can enjoy the event without having to pay extra.
General, visa, passport and health information:
For passport and visa information, please check the relevant section on this page: https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/passports. General Travel and health Information for your destination is available on the FCO website. Click here for the latest travel advice for France, and click here for useful ‘know before you go’ information also from the FCO. Please note that this information relates to UK passport holders only and that other nationalities should refer to their own authorities for this information.
For details of specialist sports travel insurance for our travel packages, please visit our insurance page. You must ensure that your travel insurance policy covers you to participate in running events. There is additional information about our other Concierge Services on our special web page.